The Intelligent Databases Group (BDI) was established in 1993 at the Institute of Informatics, UFRGS, focusing on research and development of information systems with capacities of semantic representation and reasoning. The scientific production has contributions in the following topics:
- Conceptual modeling and knowledge representation
- Visual knowledge
- Reasoning and problem solving methods
- Case-based reasoning
- Semantic Web
- Recommender Systems
- Expert systems in geology
The group has a tradition of interdisciplinarity, bringing researchers from Computer Science, Geology and Communication, which seek to provide computational solutions applied to real problems.
The BDI Group strives to approximate research and industry, transferring technology to society through partnerships with companies and research institutes. One of its main results, the PetroGrapher Project, generated the Petroledge® system, now marketed by ENDEEPER, spin off from the group. The Petroledge® is used in support of the assessment of petroleum reservoirs in laboratories, universities and international companies, including Petrobras.
- Prof ª. Mara Abel – Institute of Informatics
- Prof. Luiz Fernando De Ros – Institute of Geosciences
- Prof ª. Karin Goldberg – Institute of Geosciences
- Prof. Rafael Port da Rocha – School of Library and Communication