Best PhD Thesis
- EVANDRO FONSECA with the Thesis “Nominal Coreference Resolution using Semantic Knowledge“
- Supervised by Aline Aver Vanin & Renata Vieira
Best MSc Dissertation
- MARCOS TREVISO with the Dissertation “Sentence segmentation and disfluency detection in narrative transcripts from neuropsychological tests“
- Supervised by Sandra Aluísio
MSc Dissertation Finalists (3 Best) [in alphabetic order]
- BARBARA SILVA
- with the Dissertation “Personality Recognition from Facebook Text“
- Supervised by Ivandré Paraboni
- CLEITON FERNANDO LIMA SENA
- with the Dissertation “Pragmatic Information Extraction in Brazilian Portuguese Documents“
- Supervised by Daniela Barreiro Claro
- MARCOS TREVISO
- with the Dissertation “Sentence segmentation and disfluency detection in narrative transcripts from neuropsychological tests“
- Supervised by Sandra Aluísio
Call for Submissions
This award recognizes the best of emerging academic work on processing of spoken and written Portuguese and related issues, concluded in the three years preceding the submission deadline. Awards are given, separately for Speech and Language broad areas, for:
- Best PhD Dissertation / Thesis;
- Best MSc Dissertation.
The Award Ceremony will take place during the PROPOR 2018 Conference dinner. Information regarding PROPOR 2018 can be found at http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/propor-2018/.
Submission Criteria and Procedure:
Eligible entrants are those candidates who have successfully defended their dissertations in the three years preceding the contest submission deadline. A letter from the primary dissertation advisor must be submitted with the extended abstract, stating that the candidate meets this eligibility criterion.
The dissertation must focus on some aspect of written and spoken Portuguese processing and related issues. In general, any topic that falls within the scope of PROPOR call for papers is appropriate.
Each entry, consisting of a single PDF file, must comply with the following:
- Document must be in the form of an extended abstract that includes the nature of the problem to be researched, relevant theory, hypotheses to be tested, method, analysis, and indicative references [inclusion of publications, formal reports written by the the author (if any) and other academic or nonacademic results from the PhD or Master are particularly relevant and recommended];
- Extended abstract must be in English (even if the thesis is written in another language).
- Extended abstract must be submitted in PDF format, following the same style of PROPOR 2018.
- Extended abstracts are limited to 8 pages, including all figures, tables, and references and should begin with an abstract of 250 words or less.
- (NEW !!!!) Extended abstract must include URLs for the PDF of the complete Thesis/Dissertation and the CV of the candidate. We suggest at the end, before references, and use of tinyurl.com for long URLs
- In addition to the extended abstract, the PDF must also include the letter from the advisor defending its merits, justifying why it deserves to be considered for the Award and informing the relative positioning of the work submitted relative to other supervisions (e.g. the thesis is in the top 10%).
Submission deadline is May 13, 2018 (last dealine!!). Entries must be submitted electronically (no hard copy submissions will be accepted) via the following link: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=bdltp18 .
Award winners are invited to prepare a presentation of their work, according to instructions about particular format (A0 poster for poster presentation or slides for oral presentation).
There will be two rounds of evaluation by an evaluation committee (below). Notifications to authors will be sent on June 22, 2018.
- May 13, 2018 – NEW !!!! Last Submission Deadline
- June 8, 2018 June 22, 2018 – Notification to authors
- June 25, 2018 July 8, 2018 – Deadline for camera-ready
- September, 2018 – Award Ceremony (integrated in PROPOR 2018)
Chairs of the Award:
Vera Lúcia Strube de Lima & António Teixeira
- Isabel Trancoso (Portugal)
- Amália Mendes (Portugal)
- Plínio Barbosa (Brazil)
- Thiago Pardo (Brazil)
- Pablo Gamallo (Galicia, Spain)
For any inquiries regarding the please send an email to bdltp18 [AT] easychair.org.