Research Groups | Embedded Systems
The group addresses all development stages of embedded computer systems, exploring the design space to automatically, quickly and reliably implement different layers of hardware and software that are optimized for different types of application domains. The research topics cover the architecture of dedicated processors and multiprocessor systems, the automatic generation of embedded software, real time operating systems for embedded systems, tools for modeling and validation of systems, and testing of software and hardware.
- Application specific embedded software: Development of new methodologies and techniques for software automation aiming at quality and design space exploration, in order to meet performance, power, and memory constraint requirements of embedded systems.
- Hardware and software architectures for multiprocessor embedded systems: This topic covers from energy-aware hardware development to efficient generation of code for multiprocessor system-on-chips, including the automatic design space exploration of a family of reconfigurable systems that are oriented towards an embedded application.
- Model-driven embedded systems design: Use of an MDE (model-driven engineering) approach for the development of hardware and software for embedded systems according to given design requirements, using model transformations for application and architecture co-design, code generation, and hardware implementation.
- Implementation of specialized algorithms: Development of new algorithms and their hardware and software implementations in fields like digital signal processing, energy control, and Java for mobile and portable applications. Prototyping of algorithms on complex platforms (multiprocessors and FPGAs).
- Test and reliability of mobile and embedded systems: Test methods for embedded hardware and software since early design steps. Test based on reuse of functional components (hardware and software), aiming at low-cost and considering the execution platform; Fault tolerance at system level for reliability facing future technologies with high transient and permanent fault rates per circuit.
- Distributed and embedded real-time systems: Design flow of real-time embedded systems. Modeling, requirements specification, and programming languages for real-time systems. Adaptation and development of real-time system kernels with time predictability support. Protocols and communication networks with time constraints. Message scheduling, access methods, analytical network models, real-time middleware.
Recent Research Projects
- Experimental evaluation and mitigation of radiation-induced errors in heterogenous systems
- CReAMS-MPSoC: Reconfigurable MPSoC for Embedded Systems. Funding: CNPq
- ELOQuaS – Design for Test of Embedded Software: an industrial case (2012-2103). Funding: Elo Sistemas S.A.
- Integrating Intelligent Maintenance Systems and Spare Parts Supply Chains (I2MS2C)
- CRIAI – Architecture for a Wheelchair integrated with a Smart Environment
- LoRelei – Embedded Systems for specific applications. Funding: European Union
- Rede E3 – Embedded Electronic in Equipments
- NESS – Group of Excellence on Software Engineering for Embedded Systems – Aims at the design of complex embedded systems in a reduced time, but keeping quality and efficiency of hardware and software (2010 – 2015), Funding: FAPERGS/CNPq.
- ERA – Embedded Reconfigurable Architectures – Adaptive Platforms for Next-Generation Embedded Systems (2010 – 2012). Funding: European Union
- Integration of Wireless Sensor Network with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles(UAVs)
- Petrobrás – Valve Control System with Wireless Communication
- TISHE: Software and Hardware Integrated Test of Embedded Systems – Test of embedded software and its combination with the test of the hardware that runs it (2006-2008). Funding: CNPq.
- Sashimi-web Platform – Development of Java-based hardware platforms with free access through the web (2005-2006). Funding: CNPq.
- CLP-SIL – Safe architectures and safety integrity level in critical applications based on programmable logic controllers (2004-2006). Funding: FINEP, partnership with Altus company.
- SEEP – Platform-based Design of Electronic Embedded Systems – Platform development and complete methodology for design, validation, and test of embedded systems (2003-2008). Funding: CNPq.
Recent Research Results
- Evaluation of the error rate of TITAN supercomputer, based on field and experimental data. Comparison of the error rate and of the amount of correct data produced by the main parallel processors designed by NVIDIA, Intel, AMD
- Evaluation and mitigation of radiation-induced errors in the pedestrian detection system implemented in modern cars.
- Repair mechanism for transient faults in FPGA-based systems with real-time constraints
- Evaluation of radiation-induced errors in embedded processors, considering efect of cache memory and operating system
- Definition and industrial application of a Design-for-test methodology for embedded software
- Development of adaptive and Reconfigurable multicore architectures for ILP and TLP exploitation
- Energy/Performance Evaluation of Different Multithreading Interfaces in Embedded Systems