Research Groups | Information Systems and Databases
Information Systems Group
The aim of the Information Systems group is the investigation and the design of models, techniques and tools in the fields of Databases and Software Engineering. Considering the large number of researches in the group, as well as their diverse backgrounds, the group covers several research topics.
- Information Integration: integration of schemas and/or data. In data integration, the challenge is to find out whether two instances represent the same real-world entity. For schema integration, it is necessary to match equivalent structures across distinct schemas.
- Information Retrieval and Text Mining: investigates methods for the search, organization and access to information items, clustering of similar documents, and mining of associations between elements (webpages, people, products, etc.).
- Recommendation Systems: research on the recommendation of objects (documents, webpages, products, etc.) according to the user’s profile and/or interest. It also includes the identification and the analysis of such profiles.
- Image Search and Retrieval: indexing and retrieval of compressed images over the web or in medical applications. The focus is on multi-resolution techniques which allow user interaction and are based on probabilistic texture models.
- Geographic Information Systems: development of techniques to disseminate and obtain geographic information from the Internet.
- Software Engineering: fast development, adaptation of development processes, risk analysis in design, and selection of suitable development methods, process analysis for CMM compliance, and model driven engineering.
- Temporal Evolution: study on the use of concepts for temporal representation to allow for the storage and handling of the status of objects (structured data, semi-structured data, schemas, data warehouses, etc.).
- Data and Web Mining: study methods and techniques for all stages of the knowledge discovery process from large volumes of data, including the extraction of data from the original sources and the necessary data preparation activities, the mining of patterns and their interpretation as knowledge in the application domain. Research is mainly targeted at web usage mining, social network mining and business process mining.
- Web Services Evolution and Mining:investigate issues related to service evolution on web-based service-oriented architectures (SOA), including web service life-cycle management; representation, registry and manipulation of service descriptions; impact on client applications of service evolution and functional components for dealing with evolution in the SOA; and decision support mechanism for service providers.
- Management of Large Volumes of Textual Documents. Funded by CNPq. Period 2007-2009
- ApproxMatch: Approximate Data Matching. Funded by CNPq. Period 2007-2009
- RI-ML:Cross-Language Information Retrieval. Funded by CNPq. Period 2007-2009
- RecSemântica: Study and development of an environment for the recommendation of documents based on semantics geared towards the user profile. Funded by PRONEX FAPERGS/CNPq. Period: 2005-2008
- Digitex: Digital Libraries for the collaborative generation of texts and recommendation of content. Funded by CNPQ. Period 2005-2007.
- PerXML: Modeling of user profiles represented in XML (geared towards contect recommendation). Funded by CNPq, Edital Universal. Period 2004-2006
- InterSIG: Dissemination of geographic data over the Internet. Period: 2003-2005
Recent Research Results
- Methods and tools for collaborative text editing over the Web with quality assessment
- Approaches for the integration of XML data available from the Web
- Mechanism for the detection of versions and replicas of documents over P2P networks
- Automatic mechanism for the propagation of schema evolution in XML documents
- Methods for the identification of user profiles and the adaptation of content based on these profiles
- Environments for accessing geo-referenced data and its presentation to support decision making process
- Methods and tools for cross-language information retrieval